BIENNIAL CE REQUIREMENTS
AN OVERVIEW OF CONTINUING EDUCATION
To maintain your certification and registration with ARRT, you’ll need to fulfill a number of responsibilities throughout your career. This section gives an overview only of our biennial Continuing Education (CE) Requirements. For in-depth information, review ARRT Continuing Education Requirements.
HOW MANY CE CREDITS DO I NEED TO COMPLETE?
As an R.T., you’ll have to complete and report a certain number of CE activities every two years. This two-year period is called a biennium. Most R.T.s are required to earn 24 approved CE credits during their bienniums, regardless of how many ARRT credentials they hold. The only exception is for R.R.A.s, who need to complete 50 approved CE credits each biennium.
If you hold a Sonography credential, 16 of your biennial CE credits need to be directly related to this discipline. That stipulation will become effective for other disciplines in the future.
Once you earn your certification and registration, your CE reporting dates will always remain the same, even if you earn additional credentials later. You can however request to change the year of your CE biennium.
WHAT CE ACTIVITIES ARE ACCEPTABLE?
ARRT accepts the following for CE credit:
CATEGORY A ACTIVITIES
- Activities that a RCEEM or RCEEM+ approves, including facility applications training.
- Academic courses relevant to the profession taken through an accredited university or college (16 CE credits for each academic semester credit or 12 CE credits for each academic quarter credit)
- Advanced CPR certification (ACLS or PALS) from the American Heart Association or American Safety and Health Institute (earn up to six CE credits once per biennium)
- Certain activities you complete for state licensing purposes (for the following states only: Florida, Iowa, Illinois, Kentucky, Massachusetts, New Mexico, Oregon, or Texas). Check with us at 651.687.0048. Choose the option for renewal, reinstatement, or continuing education.
CATEGORY A+ ACTIVITIES
- Must be approved by a RCEEM+
Note—For bienniums that start on or after Jan. 1, 2018, you'll no longer be able to use newly earned credentials to satisfy your biennial CE requirements. Instead you may submit the approved educational activities you completed in pursuit of the credential.
WHEN AND HOW DO I REPORT CE?
You’ll report your CE activities every other year during your annual renewal process. You can renew online beginning two months before your birth month. Check your dashboard for the RENEW button.
Pay attention to your multiple deadlines. While your deadlines for reporting CE and annual renewal are the same, your deadline for completing the CE comes before.
You must complete your CE activities during your biennium. Your biennium begins on the first day of your birth month every other year, and extends for two years, ending on the last day of the month before your birth month.
You’ll have one additional month beyond your biennium to report your CE credits. To put it another way, you must report your CE activities by the last day of your birth month. This is the same as your annual renewal deadline.
Make sure that you keep a copy of the activities that you submit. ARRT doesn’t act as a record-keeper, and we can’t access records of your past CE activities.
Check the dashboard of your online account to view your biennium deadline.