EARN ADDITIONAL CREDENTIALS: PRIMARY PATHWAY
Whether you’ve just earned your first ARRT credential, or you’ve been certified and registered for many years, you might be thinking about how to advance your career. Many R.T.s earn additional credentials to enhance their knowledge and skills—and so can you.
You can obtain credentials in the following disciplines using the primary pathway:
Just as you did for your first ARRT credential, you’ll need to meet certain requirements before you can obtain a second (or subsequent) credential using the primary pathway.
- Educational Program: If you’re pursuing an additional credential in Radiography, Nuclear Medicine Technology, or Radiation Therapy, you must complete an educational program in that discipline. If you’d like to pursue your additional credential in Magnetic Resonance Imaging or Sonography, and you want to use the primary pathway, you’ll also have to complete an educational program in the discipline. (As an alternative, you can meet the postprimary eligibility requirements for Magnetic Resonance Imaging or Sonography.) You’ll have three years after completing your program to establish eligibility and apply for certification and registration.
- Didactic and Clinical Competencies: As part of your educational program, you’ll need to demonstrate didactic and clinical competencies for your new discipline. Your Program Director or authorized faculty member must verify that you’ve done so. You may substitute clinical experience requirements for clinical competency requirements if you choose to pursue MRI or Sonography certification and registration using the postprimary pathway instead of the primary pathway.
- Associate degree: If you haven’t already done so, you must earn an associate (or more advanced) degree from an accredited institution that ARRT recognizes.
- You must maintain compliance with the ARRT Standards of Ethics.
- You’ll have to obtain a passing score on the ARRT examination for your discipline.
For detailed information on the requirements, view our primary handbook and the webpage for the discipline you want to pursue. If you have questions along the way, we’re here to help. Visit our primary FAQ page, send us a message, or call our Initial Certification Department at 651.687.0048. Choose the option for earning an ARRT credential.