HELP SUPPORT YOUR PROFESSION
Although ARRT is a leader in advocating for patients and the profession, we can’t enact changes without the help of partner organizations, lobbyists, politicians, and you!
As an R.T., you can play an important role in changing laws and regulations simply by contacting your representatives and voicing your opinions. Read on to learn how to get involved.
SUPPORT LEGISLATION TO RECOGNIZE RADIOLOGIST ASSISTANTS
The Medicare Access to Radiology Care Act, H.R. 4614 and S. 2940, would change Medicare reimbursement regulations for services that radiologist assistants (RAs) perform. The revision would reimburse facilities when qualified RAs perform medical imaging services under a supervising radiologist’s direction in accordance with state law. Here’s how you can help support this legislation.
1. SEND A LETTER TO YOUR REPRESENTATIVE AND SENATOR
Send your senators and state representatives letters showing your support. We’ve made it easy for you by creating letter templates. Simply follow these steps:
- Find your representatives (search using the box in the upper right hand corner), and find your senators (use the state drop down menu on top).
- Does your representative and/or senator already support the bill? If so, you don’t need to send a letter.
- If not, download the letter template to send to your representatives and the letter template to send to your senators.
- Fill out a few fields on the letter template; include your organization’s logo if you have permission.
- It’s most effective to email the letters to your representatives’ and senators’ legislative aides for health issues. Because these staff members change frequently, email our Government Affairs Department to get up to date contact information.
2. ASK YOUR ORGANIZATION TO SUPPORT THE BILL
Although we encourage hospitals, medical facilities, and other health care organizations to show their support for this legislation, we know some might not know what actions to take. You can help by talking to your supervisor or your organization’s leaders. Ask them to write letters to your elected officials in the U.S. Congress.
Your organization can also promote the legislation by signing our official list of supporting organizations. Ask one of your leaders to email us, using the subject line Support RA Legislation, to learn more.
ADVOCATE FOR STATE LICENSING
Many states require technologists to have licenses or to be certified and registered with ARRT. These standards help protect the value of the profession and ensure that technologists have the skills and knowledge they need to provide the highest levels of patient care.
ARRT is advocating for new regulations in states that don’t have such requirements. Does your state mandate licensing or certification and registration? If your state isn’t listed under your discipline, contact our Government Affairs Department to learn how you can support efforts for change.