What's the difference between ARRT and state licensing?

Each state is responsible for granting the authority to perform medical imaging, interventional procedures, and radiation therapy. It’s generally called licensing, although some states use other terminology.

This differs from ARRT certification and registration. When we award credentials, it attests that individuals have demonstrated the qualifications necessary to perform their roles. This can become confusing, because some states use ARRT certification and registration as the basis for granting a license.

The best way to think of it is: If you want to become certified and registered with ARRT, you must meet our requirements and apply to ARRT. If you want to obtain a state license, you must meet the state’s requirements and apply directly to that state. 

Learn more about state licensing

Does ARRT or my state administer the state licensing exam?

ARRT administers state licensing exams for some, but not all, states. Contact your state to see who administers its exams.

Do I need a license from my state?

Each state has different requirements for working as a technologist. Contact your state to ask if you need a license to work as a technologist there.

What licenses or credentials do I need to work in different states?

Each state administers licensing laws differently. Some states might require you to hold a state license to work there—even if you’re certified and registered with ARRT or licensed in another state. Contact each state individually for information and full requirements.

Does passing the ARRT exam automatically allow me to work in my state?

ARRT certification and registration is different than state licensing, and licensing laws vary from state to state. Although you may currently be certified and registered with ARRT, you may still be required to be licensed by your state. Contact your state before starting work to make sure you’ve met all state licensing requirements.

Each state has different licensing requirements and application processes. If ARRT administers your state's licensing exam, you can read an overview of the state licensing process in our state licensing section. However, you'll still need to contact your state for information on its requirements and application process.

We don’t endorse specific study materials for the state licensing exams we administer. Instead, if you’re taking an ARRT-administered exam, we encourage you to review the examination content specifications for the discipline in which you’re taking a state licensing exam.

How do I schedule my exam?

If ARRT administers your state's licensing exam, you'll need to apply to the state first, then pay the exam fee on Then, you'll access your Candidate Status Report and instructions on how to schedule your exam in your state candidate online account.

How do I pay for my state licensing exam?

After you submit your application to your state, it will send you information on how to pay. Don’t submit payment to ARRT without receiving authorization and instructions from your state.

How long is my exam window?

Your exam window is 90 days and its start and end dates are printed on your State Candidate Status Report. You must complete your state licensing exam within your assigned window. Review the Handbook for State Candidates for more information.

How do I extend my exam window?

Review the  Handbook for State Candidates for rules on exam window extensions to see if you’re eligible—and, if so, to whom you should submit your request. 

If you want to extend your exam window, you can’t have an exam appointment scheduled. If you do, cancel your appointment before requesting a window extension.

Once your window extension is approved, we'll update your window end date on your Candidate Status Report. You can access this report from your state candidate online account.

My personal information is incorrect on my state Candidate Status Report (CSR). What should I do?

ARRT can’t change personal information on a state Candidate Status Report unless the request comes from the state, not the candidate.

Contact your state entity if your personal information (such as your name or address) is incorrect on your state Candidate Status Report.

You can find the state’s phone number on the front of your Candidate Status Report.  

Be aware that the personal information on your Candidate Status report must match your ARRT-approved ID exactly. Otherwise, the testing center won’t allow you in. Review the Handbook for State Candidates for more information.

What should I do if my state Candidate Status Report doesn’t list the correct exam modules?

Your state entity submitted the exam modules listed on your state Candidate Status Report. If your report is incorrect or missing modules, cancel your existing exam appointment (if applicable), then contact your state entity. (Its phone number appears on the front of your state Candidate Status Report.) ARRT can’t change the modules unless the request comes from the state, not the candidate.

After we receive updated module information from your state, we’ll update your state Candidate Status Report. Don’t schedule your exam until you verify that the changes to your modules are correct.

What should I do if I had problems at the test center?

If you experienced problems at the test center, visit our exam FAQ page and click on Test Center Issues.

Your state entity—not ARRT—sends out the exam results. If you have questions on when to expect your results, contact your state entity. ARRT doesn’t have that information.

State licenses are separate from ARRT certification and registration, and ARRT's ethics process is independent of any state licensing board review. If you’re going through an ARRT ethics review, however, your state might require that you disclose the underlying allegation to it. Each state has different ethics requirements, so it's best to check with your state directly. 

Learn more—including when to call ARRT and when to call your state entity—in the State Licensing section of our website. You can also find in-depth information and log in to your account on our State Licensing website