Since certification examinations are required to be practice related, ARRT periodically conducts a job analysis to make certain that the certification examination content specifications and the clinical requirements remain comprehensive, accurate, and fair. ARRT, with the help of the professional community, reviews the certification documents every five years. The ARRT Board of Trustees recently approved changes to the following documents, which go into effect on January 1, 2022.
OVERVIEW OF MAJOR CHANGES TO THE CONTENT SPECIFICATIONS
- Additional content was added in the Patient Care section.
- In the Safety section, genetic impact was removed. Embryonic and fetal risk were moved to the somatic effects sub-section.
- Under minimizing patient exposure, shielding was removed. Additional detail about protective devices was added under personnel protection (ALARA).
- In Image Production the image acquisition and evaluation chart were revised, caliper measurement was removed, grids and OID were added.
- Additional content was added to the image receptors subsection.
- In the Procedures section, zygomatic arch was removed, and sternoclavicular joints were added.
- On Attachment A, six projections were removed, and shoulder supraspinatus outlet (Neer) was added.
- Attachment C was removed.
- Item weighting was slightly adjusted. More items were added to the Patient Care and Safety sections, and items in the Image Production section decreased.
OVERVIEW OF THE MAJOR CHANGES TO THE DIDACTIC AND CLINICAL COMPETENCY REQUIREMENTS
- On the procedures list, zygomatic arches were removed, and sternoclavicular joints were added.
- In the mobile radiographic studies section, orthopedic was changed to upper or lower extremity.
- In both the pediatric and geriatric sections, upper and lower extremity were combined to one procedure.
- Hip was added to the geriatric section.
- The Imaging Procedures chart was revised to show which procedures would be eligible for simulation.
- A maximum of ten procedures may be simulated.
- Additional details about how simulations can be done were added.
Please direct any questions about your eligibility and requirements for Radiography certification and registration to Initial Certification at 651.687.0048. Select the option for earning an ARRT credential.