Clinical experience is an important step on the postprimary pathway to obtaining an ARRT credential. To successfully complete your clinical experience requirements, you must perform and document a specific number of clinical procedures (the activities
depend on your discipline).
- You’ll need to complete the activities before you apply for certification and registration.
- There are limits to the number of clinical experience entries you can report for each day (see below).
- You must perform them no more than 24 months before you submit your application.
CLINICAL EXPERIENCE REQUIREMENTS
If you’re just beginning to pursue a postprimary credential, use the current Clinical Experience Requirements documents listed below.
June 30, 2020
July 1, 2020
- Computed Tomography
- Magnetic Resonance Imaging
- Bone Densitometry
- Cardiac Interventional Radiography
- Vascular Interventional Radiography
- Vascular Sonography
- Breast Sonography
If we list two sets of requirements, check the effective date on the newer ones. You can’t start logging procedures under the old requirements if the effective date on the newer ones has passed.
If you started logging procedures before the newer requirements went into effect, however, you can continue—without losing any procedures—until the older requirements expire. That’s 24 months after the effective date of the newest requirements.
If you’re logging procedures on the older requirements, and you wish to switch to the new ones, you’ll have to delete the old worksheet and select the discipline again to start the new worksheet. If you go this route, your procedures won’t transfer.
DAILY REPORTING LIMITS FOR CLINICAL EXPERIENCE ENTRIES
Studies show that people learn more effectively when they experience a greater number of relatively short training sessions, distributed over a longer time, instead of fewer, longer sessions over a shorter time. That’s why we limit the number of clinical experience entries you can report each day.
The limits depend on the discipline:
- Bone Densitometry: maximum 15 entries per day
- Breast Sonography: maximum nine entries per day
- Cardiac Interventional Radiography: maximum eight entries per day
- Computed Tomography (CT): maximum nine entries per day
- MRI: maximum seven entries per day
- Mammography: maximum 16 entries per day
- Vascular Interventional Radiography: maximum six entries per day
- Vascular Sonography: maximum 28 entries per day
Clinical experience entries include both the different procedures you perform and the number of repetitions you perform of each procedure. Remember: we’re limiting only the number of entries you can report per day, not the number you can perform.
Questions on clinical experience requirements? We’re here to help. For further information, visit our postprimary FAQ page or call us at 651.687.0048, ext. 8570.