Become A Registered Radiologist Assistant Using The RPA TO R.R.A. PATHWAY
For a limited time, ARRT will offer Radiology Practitioner Assistants (RPAs) a modified eligibility pathway to earn Registered Radiology Assistant (R.R.A.) credentials. This pathway will be available through December 31, 2020.
RPA TO R.R.A. REQUIREMENTS
To earn R.R.A. credentials using the temporary RPA eligibility pathway, you must meet the following requirements by December 31, 2020:
- Be certified as an RPA by the Certification Board for Radiology Practitioner Assistants or have graduated from a Radiology Practitioner Assistant educational program that is based in an educational institution accredited by an ARRT-approved mechanism
- Be certified and registered with ARRT in Radiography
- Have at least one year of acceptable clinical experience in radiography, which must be completed after you’ve earned your ARRT credential in Radiography (Clinical experience may be earned concurrent to a radiologist assistant educational program, but cannot be satisfied by the program)
- Have a baccalaureate degree or graduate degree from an institution accredited by an ARRT-approved mechanism
- Meet ARRT’s ethic’s requirements
- Pass ARRT’s R.R.A. examination
The ARRT Rules and Regulations state that candidates must establish eligibility within five years after completing an educational program (for those completing a program prior to 2013) or within three years after completing an educational program (for those completing a program after 2012). However, we will waive this requirement for those using the temporary RPA eligibility pathway.
WHO IS NOT ELIGIBLE?
You cannot use the RPA eligibility pathway if you’ve previously applied to ARRT for R.R.A. certification and registration. There is, however, one possible exception if you've previously applied—you may be able to regain eligibility by repeating the Professional Education Requirements, as described in the ARRT Rules and Regulations. If you would like more information about this exception, call us at 651.687.0048, ext. 8560.
TAKING THE EXAM
The next (and final) exam date for this pathway is July 9, 2020 (Postmark your application by May 14, 2020).
There may be limited spots available for the exam administration, so you are encouraged to apply for certification and registration as early as possible.
HOW TO GET STARTED
Review the above requirements above carefully to ensure you meet them. Then log into your ARRT online account and visit the R.R.A. eligibility pathway page under the Resources section of the website to download an application.
After we accept your application, we'll send you a Candidate Status Report which will have instructions on how to schedule your exam. While we don't endorse any study materials, you may find it helpful to review our R.R.A. Content Specifications and Entry Level Clinical Activities.
While not everything in our R.R.A. Handbook will apply to those using the RPA to R.R.A. pathway, it's a helpful resource to learn about taking the exam, exam security, and what to expect after the exam.
If you do not meet the requirements to use the RPA to R.R.A. pathway, you may be eligible for the R.R.A. advanced placement option.
Questions? Contact us at 651.687.0048, ext. 8560.