How To Apply
Will you graduate soon from your educational program? If so, it’s time to think about applying for ARRT certification and registration. The application process for the primary pathway has numerous detailed steps—but don't worry. We have a range of resources to help you.
Below is an overview of the application process. When you’re about three months from graduation and ready to apply, follow the complete instructions found in the primary handbook, the applications, and your candidate status report.
Call our Initial Certification Department (651.687.0048, ext. 8560) at any time if you have questions. It’s important that your application be accurate and complete, because errors and omissions can affect your ability to earn ARRT credentials.
Overview of Application Process
Before You Apply
- Review the primary handbook.
- Ensure that you meet ARRT’s ethics requirements or that you’ve reported any potential ethics violations to ARRT.
- Confirm that you’ve met ARRT’s education requirements by completing an educational program at an accredited, ARRT-approved institution.
Preparing Your Application
- Obtain an application for ARRT certification and registration from your program director.
- Complete the application, paying close attention to all questions and details.
- Ask your Program Director to complete his or her portion on your application form.
- If you have a disability that falls under the Americans With Disabilities Act (ADA), and you require accommodations at the test center, submit a formal request at the same time you submit your application for certification and registration. After we assign your exam window, you will not be allowed to submit a request for testing accommodations.
- Mail your application form and fee to ARRT in the envelope provided in your application packet. You may mail your application up to three months before you expect to complete your education program.
After We Process Your Application
- We’ll alert your Program Director that it’s time to verify you’ve completed your program. (If you’ve already completed your program, we’ll request verification right away; if you haven’t, we’ll send a notice about two weeks before you graduate.)
- We’ll send you a Candidate Status Report, which contains instructions for scheduling your exam.
Scheduling and Taking Your Exam
- You’ll have 365 days to schedule and complete your exam after we process your application.
- You must complete your exam at a Pearson VUE Test Center on your scheduled exam date. (If you need to reschedule, be sure to do so in advance.)
- You’ll receive a preliminary score at the test center after you complete your exam (this isn’t your final score).
- ARRT will mail your official score report within two to three weeks after you complete the exam.